Sunday, October 12, 2008

Freedom is what we want

The man in the picture is my brother, all his life is hardship even from his younger days, he had to work the most in the family. He had to sacrifies for us, He had to work in our family shop so that I can go to a good school because we are poor. My dad beat him the most. My dad would tie him to a tree and beat the life out of him because he went out to play with some friends because customers complain no one was looking after the shop.

One day he left home and worked as a labourer in a shipyard and I can remember his face, he was the happiest man alive. No matter how hard the work is, it doesn't really matter so long as it is not home with dad in charge.

At a young age, we learn hardship but it wasn't hardship that we fear, it wasn't work that we fear.. it was freedom, it was freedom we fear of losing. Without Dad's fearful beatings and control, we learn that freedom is what we all wanted. Freedom was priceless and it is freedom that we will see the abundance of things.

Even though you see a pitiful shed in the picture of his home, but frankly, it was home sweet home for him. He died of cancer of the bone marrow and his last words to me before he passed away - "believe me there is god"

No comments: